Friday, June 14, 2013
Monday, June 03, 2013
Saturday, May 11, 2013
So. Here I am, starting from a size 18 pattern when I am an 8/10. See my troubled, studious face. My seamstress experience is all a bit taking in jeans down the inside leg (in orange thread) wondering why it twisted. Aged 11.
So today, I took all my measurements and decided I needed to take 1" off the bodice length, bodice waist and 3" off the bust. That would be a small bust adjustment then. Bear in mind that the pattern has no obvious grain measurements and a dart on the back piece seems to be missing.
I first took an inch off the pattern length at my personal waistline on each piece as I had googled that you had to do length adjustments first. I guessed where the line was to pleat.
For the bust, I used a dissection method. I divided the 3" loss measurement across the 4 pieces: 2 back, 2 side fronts and 1 front piece resulting in 1.9cm to be lost off each one - pardon my imperial v metric parlance. Just realised that adds up to 5 pieces. Ok, it seems that although I failed to add that up it's fitting fine so far, so we will blip over that error for now.
Most pieces were pleated along a line drawn halfway across the shoulder or the neck down to the hem perpendicular to the grain but on the side front, seeing as it is an armhole princess seam, I decided to take the 1.9cm loss off the bust curve where it started to downturn to take any fullness out there - I technically should have taken that same measurement off the front piece length too to make them match...but it didn't seem to need it. Winging it.
But look! I am so proud that all of the above seems to have worked so far and that I only had to re-do the darts once.
To be Continued...
Wednesday, May 01, 2013
Thursday, April 25, 2013
And the first toile turned out pretty good if I say so myself. I have never really altered just part of a pattern to fit before so I am quite impressed with the fact that it actually worked. I needed to lose an inch on the bust only. For anyone that needs to know - to make a smaller bust adjustment when it's a raglan sleeve, curve off what you need to lose from the bust at the side front seam whilst taking the same measurement off the length on the front piece. The neck actually fits as snug as in the illustrations but I like it slouchy anyway so I probably won't bother putting on that button at the back.
I used some fine knitted cotton jersey that was going for a song on ebay but which is almost certainly going to disintegrate into unravelled threads the first time I wash it. I need an overlocker.
In my dreams I want to find some slubby sweatshirt jersey and then dye the sleeves a contrast colour using found plant dyes from the garden or the kitchen. It would also look rather lovely and neat in woven fabric - I may yet take it down longer into a dress.